Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Yes, I live at home

As many of you may or may not know on Thanksgiving day my apartment flooded. This resulted in much chaos and destruction. Stress, tears, and unbelief were felt by me and my roommates as we gazed upon the mess that was our cute and beloved apartment. Now because of this flood I moved back home. Now that I live at home I feel like I have to explain myself to everyone who asks where I live. I mean I love it! I have a queen sized bed instead of a twin, space for all my clothes, my own bathroom, a refrigerator full of food, a mother that cooks for me, etc. So really, it has a lot of plusses. But everytime someone asks me where I am living or about my apartment I have to tell them that "Oh! I live at home now." This is usually followed up with a drawn out "OOOOOOH...." from the other person. What is up with that?! Don't they know that I have been living away from home basically my whole college career. I know how to take care of myself ok, I'm not afraid to leave the nest, so this is a nice break from paying rent every month, so back off people!

But then I feel like I have to explain myself, and how I came to be living at home as a 22 year old, senior, college student. Then understanding seems to get to them but I always feel like I am looked down upon...just a little...because I live at home. I think they are just jealous, right? That is what I am going to tell myself whenever I hear another "OOOOH" from someone about my living situation. I promise I am not the 30 year old man who still lives in their parent's basement and plays video games every day.

3 comments:

Julie and Jesse said...

I can't believe your apartment flooded! And yes, everyone is jealous that you get to live at home and they don't!

Jessica C. Gilliland said...

Girl, I would kill to live in a place with my own closet and a washing machine that doesn't shake the whole building on the spin cycle. :) I'm glad home is working out for you. We all miss you!

averyl said...

wait, you live at home?


...ohhhhh...